Thursday, June 10, 2010

Who would have thought...

If you know me at all, you would and should know that I enjoy my beer, and I enjoy my cheese. (But not together, that's just gross) Luckily for me, MIlwaukee has both of those in plenty. Along with a pretty kickass internship at Kohls.


So here I am, sitting at the Rochambo Coffeehouse and Teahouse on Bradley Street. It's an adorable little two storied coffee hangout that reminds me of the oh-so-many coffee shops that I frequented in Raleigh. [I'm a bit of a coffee whore] There's a real quirky atmosphere here, as if these people have gone just a little mad each winter and their only therapy is drinking a LOT of beer and spending an inordinate amount of time outside during the summer. [Not that either of those are bad!]


I'm sitting with Alli, my roomie, caddy corner to The Garage, a pretty sweet bar we discovered this past weekend. I think this place may become "our clubhouse," as Tiffani claims. FIrst of all, there are TREES growing inside. Oh yes. And everyone's super friendly. Both occasions we've gone we've made friends with the tables next to us. Yesterday, for instance, a friendly dude (whom I called Princess, and yes, to his face) offered his drunk self as entertainment to us. He held his left foot and jumped through it with his right. It was wildly entertaining, as you could imagine, since he was WASTED at 4pm on a Sunday.


Today was my first Monday at Kohls. My beautiful little microcosm of a department within kohls (home art team! woot!) is wonderfully laid-back, creative, sassy, and super nice. I really like these people. I can't really make an accurate judgement yet about whether I'll like the work cuz we've been doing other stuff, but I think I will like it.


The whole internship is a little like school. We get up at the buttcrack of dawn and catch a bus. There's a dress code. We have classes that are mandatory and are intended for "our future". There's a principal (department head, ceo, etc) and teachers (our managers). We live in dorms. We have played team-building activities (barf). And we have to behave and suck up to the right people.


All in all, good start.


Alright, weekend agenda: Friday, head out on the town. Saturday: laundry! and... the "Safe House" for dinner (it's supposedly this crazy restaurant and bar where there's secret passageways and passwords and the like.) then... exploring more of milwaukee nightlife. That seems to be the theme...


AND bought my band of horses ticket and about to buy my pitchfork music fest ticket (beach house, pavement, neon indian, etc etc) I LOVE that milwaukee has a sweet music scene!


I'm tired, so ... end of first blog entry. Big day. G'night ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment